Wednesday, March 1, 2017

St. Patrick's Day Bookmark


St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Something about a day dedicated to a color mixed with the symbols of rainbows, pots of gold, shamrocks, and leprechauns somehow speaks to me. So, when the idea for this bookmark popped into my mind, I knew I had to make it.

The idea first came to me while at aquacise. When I got home, I sketched down the idea.

My initial sketch

Over the next few days, I worked on designing the pattern. I went through a lot of variations, but finally settled on one, taking my husband's advice about which one he liked best.

A lot of variations

I decided to stitch this design on some Charles Craft gold dusted aida cloth I bought years ago but had never used. I chose to use Kreinik Japan gold thread for the border and the gold coins because I loved its yellow gold color. This thread is not as soft as the regular Kreinik gold, and it is harder to stitch with, but still easier to stitch with than the DMC metallic thread.

The picture doesn't fully capture the beauty of the cloth.

As I thought more about the rainbow background, I decided to modify the design a bit to take the best of two of my designs. Rather than have the rainbow going all one direction, I had the rainbow radiating out of the pot of gold.

I could sit and look this bookmark for hours.

I enjoyed designing and stitching this project. It is my new favorite of my cross-stitch designs. This pattern is now available on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment