Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Enchanted Red Rose Bookmark


For months I have been excited for the live action version of Beauty and the Beast. I also bought the cartoon version in the fall, and have watched it a few times since then. So, it is not surprising that an idea for an enchanted red rose cross-stitch bookmark pattern came to me.

I decided to try something new for this bookmark; I used metallic thread for the backstitching. In the first version I stitched, the colors were too close, and the backstitching did not provide enough definition for the pattern.


I next tried blending the floss of the rose, stem, leaves, and background with metallic threads and backstitched with black. This made the colors of the rose, stem, and leaves too dark and the background too light for my tastes.


The third time was the charm. I used a light green metallic to outline the stem and leaves and silver to outline the rose. Finally a design I felt looked satisfactory.


When showing the bookmarks to people, each had their own preference of which they liked best. So, in the pattern, I am making all three color schemes available. You can purchase the pattern on Etsy.

Stay tuned for more rose bookmarks...

No comments:

Post a Comment