Thursday, April 6, 2017

Bunny Sitting on Easter Eggs


It all started with a sketch, a very rough sketch, a sketch done on my phone while in a moving vehicle, a sketch of a bunny sitting on a stack of Easter eggs.

A rough sketch.

Next came designing and picking out colors. I started with the bunny and went through a number of variations. My attempts at creating a bookmark with the bunny sitting on top large Easter eggs wasn't working out. My husband suggested the idea of having the bunny sit on a basket of Easter eggs, and that worked out wonderfully.

A plethora of options.
Yes, there is something different about each of those bunny designs.
I began stitching the pattern on 14-count light blue aida, while also working on getting other patterns released. When I had almost finished stitching this pattern, my husband remarked that it was kind of a large bookmark. That got me wondering how big it would be if stitched on 18-count cloth. So, I stitched it again, this time on 18-count fiddler's light aida. I do prefer the size of the 18-count bookmark.


A few days after I finished stitching these, I visited my sister's family. I had their rabbits in mind when I made the bunny white. When I showed the bunny cross-stitch to my older nephew (age 4 and a half), he hugged it and wanted to keep it. I had been thinking to give the blue one to their family since I had stitched the design twice, but this confirmed it. My nephew wanted me to leave it with them right then, but I tried to explain to him that I needed to take it home and make it into a bookmark and take pictures of it. I will take the completed bookmark to them the next time I visit.

Some of their cute rabbits.

When it came time to photograph these bookmarks, I bought a few props (Peeps, stuffed bunny, cloth carrots, dyeable cardboard eggs), as well as used some things I already had (basket, books, backdrops). The pattern for this Easter bookmark is now available on Etsy


1 comment: