Thursday, April 20, 2017

Yellow Rose Bookmark


As I worked on my Enchanted Red Rose Bookmark, a friend suggested I do a yellow rose bookmark pattern as well. At first I rejected the idea, but by the end of the day, the idea had taken root and I started designing this bookmark. I am so glad for that suggestion because I love this bookmark. 

I used these photos as reference while picking colors.
Designing and stitching this bookmark brought back memories of the yellow rose bush next to the driveway of one of my childhood homes. I loved that yellow rose bush. As I stitched, I also thought about what yellow roses represent. According to flowershopping.com, "The yellow rose represents filial love, the love of friendship. Yellow roses represent the love between siblings and very close friends. The yellow rose is not as sensual and romantic as other roses; instead its sunshine radiance speaks toward the joy resulting in shared experiences and the promise of further adventures. Yellow roses send a clear message of respect and are make great gifts for childhood friends and respected coworkers alike. Yellow roses illuminate the air around them and bring joy and optimism to anywhere they are placed."

I modified my Enchanted Red Rose pattern
to create the design for this bookmark.

Despite being based on my Enchanted Red Rose pattern, not everything was sunshine and roses (pun intended) during the process. A friend counselled me not to do the backstitching in black, as had been my first thought. I took me four tries to get the color right for the stem and leaves, causing a frustrating evening of stitching and then unstitching. At least I got the colors right for the rose and border backstiching on the first tries.

The the four colors I tried.

In the end, it all worked out. The pattern and example bookmark and done and looking great. And the pattern is now available on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment