Thursday, June 22, 2017

Blackwork American Flag


On the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, inspiration struck and I immediately started designing this pattern. Monday, I started stitching it. I only learned of blackwork within the last year, but I have become fascinated with it since then. This is my first blackwork pattern, but I can assure you it will not be my last. I already have other blackwork ideas in mind.

I enjoyed stitching this project. I worried that the white wouldn't stand out well enough, but I think it turned out well.

For this project, I chose to frame it myself since I don't have the funds to have all my pieces professionally framed. I used this tutorial as my guide. Here is what I did:

1. Pick Frame and Mat - I didn't have the piece with me, but I used a picture on my phone to guide me. I had measured the finish piece and knew the smallest viewing area would need to be 4x6", so I chose a 5x7" frame and a 4x6" mat.


2. Wash - I always wash my pieces after they are finished.

3. Iron - after it dried.


4. Cut Foam Core Board to Size - it needs to be a bit smaller than the framed area so it will fit in the frame once the fabric is on it.


5. Center the Piece on the Foam Core Board - I put one pin in the center of each side to help it stay in place after I centered it. I did have to readjust a couple times.


6. Pin the Fabric to the Foam Core Board - I used pins I saved from dress shirts we've bought for my husband.


7. Put the Mat and the Mounted Fabric in the Frame - mine was a tight fit.


8. Close the back of the Frame - it's finished!


The pattern for this Blackwork American Flag is now available on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment