Saturday, January 14, 2017

What's in a Name? Name Origins and Logo


If you have a business, you probably have some story about how you decided on your name and logo. This is my story.

When I was a kid, one of my aunts sent me and each of my siblings a card on our birthdays. She made the card with a computer program, and I liked how she designed the back of the card, kind of like the back of a commercial greeting card.

The back of one of the cards my aunt sent me.

Inspired by this, whenever I made a card, I did a "logo" on the back. For my logo, I put my initials with a cloud around them and then put "cards" or "creations" after it it.


When I was in college, I made a digital version of my logo to use in a book I made for my Computer and Print Publishing class.


When I decided to start an Etsy store a few years ago, I wanted to stay with the same theme of name and logo. I had gotten married, so I planned to use my new initials of KEB. I googled KEB Creations, but found that the name was already in use. I played around with some different ideas. After much thought, I decided to go with the name of KEB Studio Creations. I created a logo. My brother even burned it into the jewelry display board he made for me. I knew that I would eventually update my logo, but I was content with what I had for the time.



After awhile, I began developing a new logo. After working on some ideas I didn't like, I finally came up with an idea I liked.

Logo idea sketch

I used Adobe Illustrator to develop and refine the idea. And now I have a logo I love. The round logo is my main version. But I have horizontal versions for where they work better.




I hope you enjoyed hearing about how I developed my name and logo. And I would love to hear your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment